Hammond Happenings

Friday, July 18, 2008

HEAD TRAMA...

Thursday 7-17-08
*Dani's 21st birthday
*Mommy was going to be gone to Missouri coaching volleyball with Sydney and 6 other CCCHS volleyball studs and mommy staying away from Weston for the FIRST time.

Those were the milestones on Thursday 7-17-08 until I received a phone call from Chad around 5 pm. He was at Walleta's picking up Weston and Weston started throwing up. He had fell and hit his head at the pool but checked out fine after the fall. After nap it had caught up with him and the symptoms of a concussion had set in. The throwing up persisted on for hours. Weston, Chad and my mom set off for Manhattan to see Dr. Gallagher his pediatrician when the vomiting started to become overwhelming in the vehicle and they turned back to Clay Center to the emergency room. He was assessed by Dr. Sewell and they ordered a CAT scan. Thanks, Julia!

So your wondering what I was doing on the road to Missouri while this is happening. I was at a convience store off of I-70 at Bonner Springs. Aunt Kristen came to the rescue in Lawrence when I called her and she contact Uncle Grant in Kansas City who was looking at house's with Tonya. It just so happened the Arnie was in Kansas City looking with them also. So Arnie came to my rescue picked me up at Bonner Springs Quick Trip and we headed home to see my boy. Did you know you can make it from Bonner Springs to Clay Center in 2 hours. Thanks, Arnie. I really was holding myself together until Syd gave me a hug and did not want to leave me, I really wanted them to get on the road they had 3.5 hours of driving ahead of them still. After they drove off I had a weak moment and in the middle of the busiest convience store I have ever been in I had a break down and started crying, big tears everyone just looked at me and carried on and then I was fine within minutes.

When I arrived at the hospital they had good news that the CAT scan showed NO damage and no blood on his brain. At 8:45 they let him have ice chips. The nurse woke him every hour through the night. They woke him at 10 pm and he just looked at me and was very dazzed looking at that point. 11:00 he woke up and asked for juice, apple juice, because he had kept his ice chips down they allowed the juice, sipping the juice well there was no sipping to it he chugged the entire cup. They continued to wake him check his eyes and let him go back down at 4 am he was up and he was WESTON being very silly and cuddley!! He woke up around 6:15 and was doing well. Dr. Kelly came around 11 am and dismissed him. The nurse's were IMPRESSED with his cooperation; little did they know this was his third stay he is a seasoned hospital patient and knows the routine, he would lift his leg for the blood pressure machine and lift his arm to take his temperature. They let him listen to his heart so he will make a train sounding noise if you ask what it sounds like.

While he was going through the effects of the concussion he would not react to anyone, would not talk, motion or respond. They said his eyes were glazed and looking in the distance. I am so thankful to have a wonderful husband and daddy to take care of our son. He was amazing! We also had great support from our families and friends.

Everyday is a new adventure.

The challenge is trying to keep a child that runs everywhere and climbs everything from doing those things. It will be a challenge over the next two weeks. He is endanger for two weeks of more head trama if he would fall and hit it again. We also have a sheet with signs to watch for in case he would have slow bleeding start. We will check in at the end of the week with his pediatrician.

Just remember GOD WILL ONLY PUT IN FRONT OF YOU WHAT YOU CAN HANDLE AND HE HAS A PLAN TRUST IN HIM.

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME. ALL THE TIME GOOD IS GOOD.

God Bless. Jericho

2 comments:

Hayes Family said...

Oh my gosh, Jericho, that would be scary! Looks like Daddy Chad came to the rescue. My prayers are with you guys! Keep me posted. Weston is such a tough lil' guy!!!! Love, Arica

Michelle said...

Hey gurl... I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and your family. Hey...thank goodness for Arnie and you will never hear that out of my mouth again. Give Weston a hug from me!
Love ya~ Michelle