Hammond Happenings

Saturday, February 6, 2010

For Love of Cows!

This is the last cow that Weston tried to feed he is at the end of the bunks!
He is very comfy this close to the cows thank goodness when he has no desire to be in the pen with them. He has seen enough at the sale barn to realize how big and how bad they can hurt.
Giving them more ground hay.
Finally they looked up and ate from his hand again.
Check out that cows tongue!
We started using our hands and throwing the ground hay in the bunk and then Weston thought we need a pitch fork!
Directly in front of Weston is the huge bull. He was so excited to get down by him but would not try to touch him. I did rub his head, he has curly hair and he stayed more still than any of the cows!
The beginning of the feed the cows mission! They were checking each other out!
This cow let Weston pet her with out enticing her with hay!

I was holding the camera in one hand and the hay in the other and reaching out as far as I could to try and get a picture of her eating! I got these two pictures. I love them!

Grandpa's steer calf followed us around the backyard fence earlier and was really interested in Weston. Weston has so happy the calf would eat from him! He did tell me maybe he could ride that one when he is a bull rider.
This is the beginning of the goal down the feed bunks - how many cows can I pet. He told me something about every cow. If it was Uncle Kelly's or Grandpa's or something grandpa has told him about the cow. It was almost scary at times the details he knew about some of the cows. It's in his blood. My Grandpa Ron, Uncle Kirk and Uncle Kelly (and my Grandpa Thomas) are/were really passionate about cattle also. He has definitely inherited that trait! I was just petting the dogs and one of them sniffed my lens (the reason for the blur on Weston)!

No comments: