Hammond Happenings

Monday, August 31, 2009

Elderberries!






My dad spotted some elderberries during hay season this summer; he knew (his mom) my grandma Melvina had made her last jar of elderberry jam. So he and grandma made a trip to the field to pick. They picked alot and grandma made elderberry juice which she will eventually make into elderberry jam! One of my grandma's friends told her you should drink a teaspoon a day and it will help with your health (immune system). So she sent my dad back to pick more elderberries. Chad, Dani, Weston and I joined my dad Sunday evening picking elderberries. We had a lot of fun and it was a new experience for my family! I love traditions! Well as most thing go that Chad and I part take in together our competitiveness comes out and I had picked the largest clump (and made sure he knew it). He will not lose to me so he was on a mission! I still think my clump was bigger! :) Today grandma cooked the berries to get the juice this process took all day she started early morning and finished the process around 5! Elderberry jam to come-we cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




No comments: