Hammond Happenings

Saturday, July 4, 2009

My Flower Picks!


Yarrow. Native to Kansas. Great to use as a cut flower and wonderful to dry.

Monarda 'fireball' common name: Bee Balm (new variety to my garden this year) Bee Balm has a very wierd smell in my opinion but the bee's love it, it is amazing to watch them! I have an established blue stocking bee balm on the south side of the house that has thrived until this year and only 1/2 of the area came back, I am pretty sure I cut it back differently last year, operator error! This plant came from Bergstroms!



Buddleia davidii 'pink delight' common name: Butterfly Bush
I purchased this at Pamida for $.30 at the clearance sale great deal right but patience I had to baby it and it took a couple of years before it did anything, should have bought a big plant at the greenhouse so I could enjoy it not work with it.

I don't have my tag for this plant to give you the specifics but I do know that it is a trumpet vine a climber. I love this it covers the ground and up on to my deck, it will poke through the slats on the deck for a suprise!

New to my garden. Lisa suggested this plant she said Dallas just loved the bloom. It is a perennial but for our area it is more like an annual so it may not come back next year. I am so glad she suggested it to me, I love it! Another reason to use your local garden center, I would never have choose this plant and my garden would not have had this cool punch of color!

Crocosmia 'lucifer' (attracts hummingbirds)

Lambs ear. This plant is awesome, if you have a childrens garden this is a great choice for it's texture. It gets a tall flower stalk with small purple flowers, I always cut mine off I prefer it to be an edger!

Anise Hyssop Agastache 'blue fortune' (attracts hummingbirds)
This is another plant my garden would be without if I did not use Bergstroms. This plant has just thrived I planted 3 last year and the butterfly's are amazing!

Good ole, sunflower!

Lavandula angust 'munstead' Lavender
Water this plant and you will be rewarded with fragrance!

Old classic daylilly. This daylilly was transplanted from a neighbor who had planted them to help with water erosion in her field entrance. She is in heaven now and I think of her whenever I see this plant!

Rudbeckia hirta 'prairie sun' common name: Black-eyed Susan
good staple plant

Aster x dumosus 'wood's purple' common name: hardy aster (attracts butterflies)
This is also new to my garden this year. Small purple flowers cover this plant!

This plant is an annual: butterfly argyranthemem

I don't usually plant annuals but I am so glad I planted these! I planted them along my front walk way. They have not stopped flowering and you do not have to deadhead!!!!!!!

One of my favorite all time plants!
I fell in love with this plant back in high school!
Echinacea purpurea 'magnus' common name: purple coneflower
This is a native to Kansas!

OK my newest most exciting purchase this week.
Oak Leaf Hydrangea
This plant needs shade, so I am struggling at where I am going to put it so I can enjoy it, I might put it in a shade/sun spot and baby it through this year to see if it is to sunny.

Now some hydrangea's change with the acidicy of the soil this does not it stays white/green/pink!




All my flowers are perennials and keep in mind if they attract butterflies and hummingbirds you will have bumble bees. Also, I only plant no maintenance plants. I do cut them back each year but that is minor.

Ok so I love flowers. Not flowers delivered to me but flowers in the ground! I told my husband to never waste money on a bouquet of flowers but allow me to plant flowers each year and he is wonderful and never complains when I buy new flowers and go to Bergstroms Greenhouse and get my flower fix and I attempt to not complain about his passion of hunting but I know I am not as good as he is!

As I talk to friends about flowers I realize that picking flowers for the right area is not as easy for them as it is for me so to some of you Kansans that are not sure what to choose here is what I have planted in the direct sun on the west side of my house that receives no shade. I always pick butterfly and hummingbird varieties. And you can tell most/all of my plants are yellow and purple. And I suggest buying from a greenhouse...they have the knowledge you need and the plant health is so important and from a greenhouse there is no comparison!



Also, Bergstroms in Clay Center are amazing!

2 comments:

Hayes Family said...

Your flowers look great Jericho....you need to come to KC and hook a sista up!!!!! I have a few, but nothing like yours!~ Hope your summer is going great!!!!

Katie said...

That's a great and thorough list of plants! I miss our butterfly bush, but love the Echinacea!